Field Visit - September 7
Will's Field Study
Friday, September 9, 2022
Field Visit 1 on September 7
Introduction to My Field Study:
This year in Biology, I am going to be doing my Field Study in Farview's Nature Trails. Below you can find an introduction video to the land, as well as two maps, one with a bird's eye view, and one being a drawing of the general layout.
Video:
Field Notes:
- Time of Visit - 5:10-5:40
- Climate Conditions - Sunny, clear skies, light breeze
- Temperature - 73°F
- Length of Day - 12 hours, 58 minutes (sunrise was at 7:15 AM, and the sunset was at 8:08 PM)
- Organisms - I saw lots of insects, like dragonflies, crickets, and grasshoppers. I heard a few tree frogs, and I saw some deer and raccoon tracks (they were just outside my plot of land, but I thought that I would mention it, especially because it shows what animals inhabit this area)
It is a little hard to see, but there is a raccoon track in this mud where the pond normally is
- Changes - This was my first visit, so I was not able to compare changes to a previous visit, but the last time I went to these trails (probably back in May), the pond was full. However, on this visit, the pond was completely dried up and overgrown.
- Questions I Had
- The pond is all dried up, so has that caused the creatures/wildlife in the area to move to the pond further back in Farview's Nature Trails? When/If this pond refills, will they return?
- How long will it take for the pond to refill, if it refills at all?
Leaf Color and Leaf Fall:
For my Field Study, I will also be looking at the leaves and vegetation in my area, to see how it changes throughout the semester. You will be able to see my first set of data, showing the percentages of the colors in the leaves in the north, south, east, and west.
Analysis/Ideas - Based on what I have seen so far (in the information below), the vast majority of the leaves are green. But, it seems that the north and the south have had the most color change/the only color change. I wonder if the sun causes this in some way. Because the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, those directions could get only half of the sunlight in the day, but north and south could get more, so could that change the color of the leaves faster in those directions? As I go on more visits, I will gain more data and be able to draw better conclusions, but that is just an idea I have right now.
North:
Green - 84%
Yellow - 0%
Orange - 1%
Red - 0%
Brown (leaves on the ground/dead) - 7%
No leaves - 8%
Green - 51%
- Yellow - 4%
- Orange - 1%
- Red - 1%
- Brown (leaves on the ground/dead) - 6%
- No leaves - 37%
East:
- Green - 65%
- Yellow - 0%
- Orange - 0%
- Red - 0%
- Brown (leaves on the ground/dead) - 12%
- No leaves - 23%
Additional Pictures:
Great questions about your pond! Keep watching and thinking! Maybe even include photos related to those questions each time so it's a little easier to notice any changes.
ReplyDeleteGood leaf color/leaf fall set up.
For your field notes you're off to a great start, but keep thinking about where they are, how many there are, what they are doing, if there is variety among them, etc...